The Wedding

Hey guys!

Yesterday I went to a friend’s wedding, to help serve the food and tell the guests where the toilets were etc.etc. My mum is good friends with the Bride’s mum, which was why we were asked to help out, and I had a lot more fun than I thought I would!

My brother and I left home at around 9.45 to pick my mum up from the hairdresser, in order to arrive at the church at 1pm. Things were going well too, but when we were 30 minutes away from the venue, we became stuck in really bad traffic. It turned out that we wouldn’t be able to make it to the ceremony in time, so we changed direction and headed to the venue where the reception was going to be held.

We arrived at the reception venue at about 1.40pm, and there was another girl there who was also helping out. We had to wait about an hour and a half until we actually had to start doing anything, so we went for a walk up the hill and then came back.

The first thing we had to do was serve canapes and snack things, as well as try to swat away as many wasps as possible without making them really angry. Three trays of canapes later, and everyone was ready to start heading in to have lunch. By this point, my feet were really starting to hurt because I was wearing heels, but even though they weren’t particularly high, it was because I was doing so much walking to and from the kitchen. Plus, it was hot and my feet were sweaty… but you probably didn’t want to know that!

Once all the food was served, I came to the realization as to how hungry I actually was. I hadn’t eaten since 7.30am, and it was now around 4.30pm. When we started clearing the tables, it was surprising as to how many sandwiches were left over, so the lovely kitchen staff said we could eat them- better that than let it go to waste! We then had to serve the mini cakes for desert, which looked absolutely gorgeous and we all hoped that there would be some left over! Thankfully there were loads left, and we could eat the chocolate yummies to our hearts content. But then we had to start clearing more food and serving champagne, so it was back to work for us!

While the guests were making speeches, we were allowed to have some time off as there wasn’t much else to do, so I went to listen to the toasts.They were all so heartfelt, with just the right amount of humour to make each speech memorable in their own way. Then everyone started going outside, so by this point I decided it was time to take my shoes off for the rest of the evening, and I cleared the tables barefoot (no one seemed to mind!)

Finally, the food serving/clearing mayhem was over, and we were officially off duty, so were allowed to help ourselves to some food, and sit down for a while. I felt bad just leaving my plate and drink lying around, so I still helped by taking the odd thing to the kitchen. But suddenly it was 8.30pm, and my mum decided it was time to start heading back home on the three hour journey.

The best thing about this wedding was that everyone was so kind. The mother of the groom came and thanked us on her way to the toilet, which I didn’t realize was her initial aim, so I just started talking to her for about 5 minutes before she politely excused herself! I also ended up talking to another of the guests who was half deaf, so I had to slow down my speech for her to hear me! (I tend to talk really quickly)

This was the first wedding I’d been to in about 10 years, the last one being my aunt’s wedding, so it was so nice to go to one again.

-The Storyteller


5 thoughts on “The Wedding”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s